Tour of the Gila Road Closure Information
Thursday, April 30, 2020: NM 15 will be closed to non-race traffic from Piños Altos to the intersection NM 15 and NM 35 from 7:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Friday, May 1, 2020: NM 90 will be closed during the UCI Men and Women races from 8:40 a.m. to 12:00 noon. This will affect traffic to and from Lordsburg.
Sunday, May 3, 2020: NM 15 will be closed to non-race traffic from Piños Altos to the intersection of NM 15 and NM 35 from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
For maps of the courses, see the stage menus.
Quick Spectator Guide:
Stage 1: Wednesday, April 29, 2020
- Tour of the Gila kicks off Wednesday morning from Gough Park for the Mogollon Road Race P/B Grant County. Racers depart from 8:00am through 10:20am from the park with the first anticipated to cross the finish line near Mogollon around 11:05am through 1:45pm. This is where the best climbers will rise to the top and set their marks for the race. The incredibly difficult finish includes a 2100 foot climb at 19 percent gradient finish. Spectators are encouraged to come out to Gough Park and cheer on the start. Feel free to line the roads anywhere along the route to Mogollon, but remember to consider the rolling road closures to accommodate the racers along US HWY 180 West.
Stage 2: Thursday, April 30, 2020
- Thursday’s race is no less daunting than the first day, with almost a 100 miles of racing on the Inner Loop Road Race P/B Brian & Lynn Robinson / Southwest Bone and Joint Institute. The stage follows the Trail of the Mountain Spirits. UCI Men and UCI Women, Men 1, 2, Men 3, and Master Men A all start and end at Fort Bayard. Races start at 9am from Fort Bayard and the UCI Men are anticipated to cross the finish around noon. Men 4, 5, Master Men B, and Women 3, 4, 5 all start from Piños Altos (PA) starting at 8am and end at Fort Bayard, crossing finish line at 11am. Last racers in will be UCI Women around 2:10pm. Spectators can line the course anywhere, but note that NM 15 will be closed to non-race traffic from Piños Altos to the Sappillo Crossing from 7:30am to 12:30pm. A great place to assemble is at Fort Bayard to watch the action and the exciting finishes.
Stage 3: Friday, May 1, 2020
- Stage 3 represents an entirely different type of challenge from other stages. The Tyrone Individual Time Trials P/B Freeport McMoRan, begins at the Tyrone mercantile parking lot. Spectators are invited to come out and watch the race as the course is wide-open to-line the roadways. Bring an umbrella, hat, and chair and enjoy watching the riders depart every 30 seconds. The time trial, covering 16.5 miles of course, is often called the “Race of Truth,” because this is all about individual effort. Let’s hope the wind doesn’t blow too strong. UCI Men start of a 9:15am. Race course in action through mid-afternoon. HWY 90 is closed from 8:40am to 12:00 noon, then opens to one lane, 35 mph, along race course until 5pm.
Stage 4: Saturday, May 2, 2020
- The Downtown Silver City Critierium P/B The Town of Silver City is where all the action happens in downtown Silver City. This is also the day where the citizens races get started. Citizens can race Saturday and/or Sunday. The Saturday action will also have live coverage, but you won’t want to miss being there in person. Women 3, 4, 5 start at 8am and all day there is action. The UCI men start at 4:15pm. This very popular stage circles downtown with many fast-paced laps leaving you to wonder how they navigate the tight corners. Citizen Races P/B First New Mexico Bank start at 12:30pm with 3 and 4 year olds, then proceed through different categories to the final citizen category of 35+ Men at 1:20pm.
Stage 5: Sunday, May 3, 2020
- The final stage, known as the Gila Monster Road Race, is P/B SkyWest Media. This stage rounds out the week with grueling challenges of difficult climbs and strategic descents. Racers start at Gough Park starting at 7:30am and head to Santa Clara, then to Hanover, San Lorenzo, Mimbres Valley, Lake Roberts, some go to Cliff Dwellings, everyone comes back through Sapillo and climbs their way into Piños Altos. Citizen racers start from Camp Thunderbird at 8:30am and get to Piños Altos around 10:30am. If you want to see the exciting finish at Piños
Altos, racers will be crossing the line from 10:30am to just after 1pm. Note that NM 15 will be closed to non-race traffic from Piños Altos to Sappillo from 9am to 2pm.
STAGE 1: WEDNESDAY, April 29 – MOGOLLON ROAD RACE P/B GRANT COUNTY
Begins at Gough Park, Silver City, ends on the road to the ghost town of Mogollon
8:00 am Master Men A —72.9 miles (117.3km)
8:10 am Men 3— 72.9 miles (117.3km)
8:25 am UCI Women— 71.2 miles (114.3km)
9:05 am UCI Men—92.0 miles (148.0km)
10:20 am Men 1,2– 93.9 miles (151.1km)
STAGE 2: THURSDAY, April 30 – INNER LOOP ROAD RACE P/B BRIAN & LYNN ROBINSON/SOUTHWEST BONE & JOINT INSTITUTE
Begins at Pinos Altos, 7 miles (11.3km) north of Silver City, ends at Ft. Bayard
8:00 am Men 4,5—61.3 miles(98.7km)
8:10 am Master Men B—61.3 miles(98.7km)
8:15 am Women 3,4,5—61.3 miles(98.7km)
Begins and ends at Fort Bayard, 9 miles (14.5km) east of Silver City
9:00 am UCI Men—76.2 miles(122.6km)
9:40 am Men 1,2—75.0 miles(120.7km)
10:00 am Men 3—75.0 miles(120.7km)
10:20 am Master Men A—75.0 miles(120.7km)
10:40 am UCI Women—74.1 miles(119.3km)
STAGE 3: FRIDAY, MAY 1 – TYRONE INDIVIDUAL TIME TRIALS P/B FREEPORT MCMORAN
Begins and ends at Tyrone, 4.5 miles (7.2km) south of Silver City
9:15 am UCI Men—-16.15 miles(26.0km)
Followed by UCI Women—16.15 miles (26.0km)
12:00 pm Women 3,4,5—16.15 miles(26.0km)
Followed by Men 4,5—16.15 miles(26.0km)
Followed by Master Men B—16.15 miles(26.0km)
Followed by Master Men A—16.15 miles(26.0km)
Followed by Men 3—16.15 miles(26.0km)
Followed by Men 1,2—16.15 miles(26.0km)
STAGE 4: SATURDAY, MAY 2 – DOWNTOWN SILVER CITY CRITERIUM P/B THE TOWN OF SILVER CITY
8:00 am Women 3,4,5—12.9 miles(20.8km) 12 laps
8:45 am Men 4,5—16.2 miles(26.0km) 15 laps
9:35 am Master Men B—16.2 miles(26.0km) 15 laps
10:25 am Men 3—21.6 miles(34.8km) 20 laps
11:25 am Master Men A—21.6 miles(34.8km) 20 laps
12:30 pm Citizens Varies per age group
1:30 pm UCI Women—27.0 miles(43.5km) 25 laps
2:45 pm Men 1,2—32.4 miles(52.1km) 30 laps
4:15 pm UCI Men—43.2 miles(69.5km) 40 laps
STAGE 5: SUNDAY, MAY 3 – GILA MONSTER ROAD RACE P/B SKYWEST MEDIA
Begins at Gough Park, Silver City, ends at Pinos Altos, 7 miles (11.3km) north of Silver City
7:30 am Men 3—-68.9 miles(110.9km)
7:30 am Women 3,4,5—68.9 miles(110.9km)
7:45 am Men 1,2—103.2 miles(166.1km)
8:05 am Master Men A—68.9 miles(110.9km)
8:15 am Master Men B—68.9 miles(110.9km)
8:30 am Men 4,5—68.9 miles(110.9km)
9:25 am UCI Men—100.6 miles(161.9km)
9:45 am UCI Women—65.9 miles(106.1km)